If you need help with an urgent dental problem, call our Urgent Dental Care Service on 0333 332 3800, available from 8am to 10pm every day, including weekends and Bank HolidaysIf you need urgent medical advice between the hours of 6.30 pm – 8 am weekdays, during weekends or on Bank Holidays – please telephone 111.
NHS 111 can help if you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do. For children under 5 call 111
Welcome to Dr Vardhan's Surgery proudly working with TABA (Tyldesley,Atherton, Boothstown & Astley)+ PCN (Primary Care Network)
Note: Please only proceed with Askmygp if you are a registered patient at Dr Vardhan's Surgery
The Askmygp service will be open between 8am and 10am Monday to Friday, Closed at weekends and Bank Holidays
The service is to be used for non-urgent purposes such as:-
Waiting for your referral?
Due to Coronavirus, and the impact on our local hospitals, there are approximately 35,000 Wigan Borough residents on waiting lists for procedures. We know that many of you have been waiting longer than both you and we would like for your elective care or treatment at the hospital.
The hospital, GP practices and everyone involved in your care are doing their best to reduce the waiting list and the waiting times for patients, whilst also supporting everyone whilst they are waiting.
Here we give you as much information as we can right now, and provide links to some things that may help you stay well whilst you are waiting for your procedure.
More helpful information is also available on the Greater Manchester While you Wait website.
Responding to current pressures
- General practice across the whole of the North West region is extremely busy: GP teams are working alongside colleagues in hospitals to try and ease pressures that are the result of growing numbers of Covid patients; helping to deliver the COVID-19 vaccination; and maintaining as many services as possible for urgent patients – please be patient, at the moment it may take longer than usual for us to respond to you if your condition is not as urgent.
- You can ‘help us help you’ by ensuring you are fully vaccinated against Covid-19, including having your booster; and following national guidance around social distancing, wearing a mask, regular hand-washing, and good ventilation.
- Please look at the other options available for accessing NHS services if your condition is not urgent e.g. following self-care advice where you can from nhs.uk; using your local pharmacy for expert help and advice for every-day conditions; using online services where you can to request repeat prescriptions via the NHS app or your practice patient online service; and seeking support and advice from NHS 111 online to direct you to the best service for your needs if you’re not sure what to do.
Changes to how GP services are accessed
- Your GP practice is still here for you and continues to provide services, GPs are now seeing more people than they were before the pandemic, but the way you access services may be different in response to the continuing risks posed by high levels of the Covid-19 virus circulating in our communities.
- Face-to-face appointments are available to all patients where there is a clinical need. You will be asked to first discuss your conditions over the phone or online with a member of the healthcare team to assess what would be most appropriate for you and which practice member would best provide it.
- NHS services continue to have a range of measures in place to keep you safe from COVID-19 including regular cleaning of patient areas and social distancing. Please ensure you wear a face covering to your appointment.
- Most GP practices are also offering online consultations and video consultations, as well as telephone consultations. These can be convenient and flexible ways to receive healthcare. Where patients need to be seen by a health professional face-to-face, this will be arranged. If you have a preference about how to access care you can discuss it with your practice.
- Following triage, you may be referred, as appropriate, to see a community pharmacist, practice nurse or other qualified healthcare professional who will be able to help with your illness or injury.
- Please continue to contact your practice by phone or online to begin with. You will be assessed and offered a phone or video appointment, or a face to face appointment if you need one.
- The majority of common conditions can be assessed and diagnosed by your doctor by telephone or video consultation. They are experienced and skilled in doing this. Using technology like this will help to protect you, your family and loved ones - and GP practice staff from the potential risk of the virus.
- The use of these digital technologies has been shown to improve patient experiences thanks to the convenience and increased access that they provide.
- If you are asked to attend for an appointment in person, please remember to put on your face covering before entering your GP practice – unless you’re exempt. Staff will be wearing masks or visors, or they may be sitting behind a screen.
- When your practice is closed you can call 111 or go to https://111.nhs.uk/ for help and advice.
- Primary care services are extremely busy and are working hard to treat as many patients as possible.
Attending a face-to-face appointment
- If you are asked to come into the surgery for a face-to-face appointment, please remember to wear a face covering.
- Measures are in place to keep you safe from infection during your visit to the surgery. If you have a disability or condition which means you cannot wear a face covering or cannot communicate with someone who is wearing a face mask, or require other adjustments before your appointment, please let the surgery know ahead of your arrival.
Children and young please with eating disorders
Physio Self-referral form:
Adult MSK Physio Self-Ref Form
You can refer yourself for physiotherapy without visiting your GP first by filling in the form above. Please note: If you have any of the following, please see your GP before referring yourself:
- Changes in your bladder and bowel habits.
- A hot swollen joint.
- Constant severe pain and you are unable to find relief.
- Weakness, pins and needles, loss of feeling.
- History of cancer
Fill in all the boxes on the second page and either post, email or hand deliver that page to one of the Physiotherapy Departments listed below
- Boston House, Wigan Health Centre, Frog Lane, Wigan, WN6 7LB, TEL: (01942) 482260 email@example.com
- Platt Bridge Health Centre, Rivington Ave, Platt Bridge, Wigan, WN2 5NG, TEL: (01942) 482403 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leigh Health Centre, The Avenue, Leigh, WN7 1HR, TEL: (01942) 483413 LeighPhysio@nhs.net
Please note these email addresses are for referrals only. Please do not use the email to contact department for any other purpose. Unless an email is encrypted the security of that email cannot be guaranteed.
Who is eligible?
- Anyone over 16 years old who has pain or discomfort in their muscles, joints or ligaments. You must be able to attend one of the physio outpatient departments; this form is not for patients who require a home visit.
What happens once the form has been handed in?
- Your referral form will be looked at by a Physiotherapist and they will decide whether they can help with your condition.
- When the physio department are in a position to offer you an appointment, they will contact you.
Domestic abuse helpline
Wigan and Leigh Domestic Abuse Helpline - Support and advice for victims or anyone concerned about the wellbeing of others. 01942 311365, Monday to Friday, 7am to 7pm
Link Mental Health Support For access to services from partners supporting residents with Mental Health and Wellbeing issues please follow the link https://www.wigan.gov.uk/Resident/Health-Social-Care/Adults/fit-and-well/Mental-health/Help-and-support.aspxn
Telephone support for people with autism/Learning Disability/their family members/carers
Thank you to all our incredibly supportive patients that have thanked our team, sent notes of appreciation and recognise how hard our whole team has been working to deal with the extra workload at this time. All of the measures we have put in place over the past 2 weeks are following guidance from Public Heath England and are being implemented across many GP practices in the UK. It is all about keeping you safe, minimising your exposure to patients with COVID-19 symptoms and saving lives of the most vulnerable people in our Community. At the same time we need to keep our teams safe and well so they can keep on working to provide patient care.
#stayathome #nhs #staysafe
Surgery Mission Statement
Our aim is to provide our local community with progressive, comprehensive healthcare to the best of our ability. Our team is built on the principles of providing friendly, caring and compassionate health care for all.
With patients' needs at the heart of everything we do, our website has been designed to make it easy for you to gain instant access to the information you need. As well as specific practice details such as opening hours and how to register, you’ll find a wealth of useful pages covering a wide range of health issues along with links to other relevant medical organisations.
Get Well, Keep Well
Of course we’re not just here for when you are unwell. Our team of healthcare professionals and their back-up staff offer a number of clinics and services to promote good health and wellbeing whatever your medical condition.
We hope you enjoy having a look around the site and familiarising yourself with some of the online features such as ordering a repeat prescription. Whatever your thoughts, be sure to let us know via our feedback function. Comments and suggestions are always a great way of helping us continue to enhance the way we look after you.
The surgery has access and toilet facilities for disabled patients. A room will be made available if you wish to discuss any matter in private.
LGBT Foundation is a national charity delivering advice, support and information services to lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans (LGBT) communities.
We would like to thank Clare, Pride in Practice Co-Ordinator for attending the surgery to provide training to our team. With her support we have updated all our policies, made changes to and updated our new patient questionnaire (you can collect these from the front desk).
Thanks Clare for coming back and awarding us with the Gold Award!
More information is avaible by clicking on the LGBT+ Foundation on the right >>>>>>>
Dr Vardhan's Surgery is taking part in the " Diabetes My Way" programme which has been created for those living with diabetes and all those at risk in Greater Manchester. Through this website, you can register to gain secure access to your diabetes-related health records and receive tailored advice and information created by NHS experts in diabetes. You can also access lots of information about diabetes, from videos, leaflets and eLearning courses, to help you understand more about your diabetes and increase your confidence in how to manage it.
Wigan GP Alliance (Hub)
Out of hours appointments are available to book to see a GP, ANP (Advanced Nurse practitioner), Nurse or HCA (Health Care Assistant) from 6.30pm until 10.00pm weekdays and between 8.00am and 8.00pm on Saturdays, Sundays & Bank Holidays
Call 01942482848 8:00am - 8:00pm daily
Our patients who have received their invitation letter for cervical screening (smear) test can now book to see one of the Nurses in one of the Alliance locations in the evenings and weekends.
The test can only be carried out if you have received your invitation. Phone 01942 482848 to book an appointment.
Appointments are available at the following locations (not all Hubs are open during all service times):
Ashton Medical Centre, 120 Wigan Road, Ashton in Makerfield, Wigan WN4 9SU
Bridgewater Medical Centre (Premier Health Team), Henry Street, Leigh WN7 2PE
Pemberton Surgery, Sherwood Drive Clinic, Sherwood Drive, Wigan WN5 9QX
Pennygate Medical Centre, 109 Ladies Lane, Hindley, Wigan WN2 2QG
Shevington Surgery, Houghton Lane, Shevington, Wigan WN6 8ET
Winstanley Health Centre, Holmes House Avenue, Winstanley, Wigan. WN3 6JN
(Site updated 08/06/2022)